Thursday, March 31, 2011

Proverbs 4

Proverbs 4 -
Well, I am going at a slow pace, so there is still time to join us on our journey of reading proverbs!
Today we are reflecting on Proverbs 4.
What are your thoughts?

Proverbs 4:  http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs%204&version=NIV

This chapter always strikes me with the wisdom I would like to give my own sons.
-Listen your father's instruction, pay attention, and gain understanding.  I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my teaching.

When dealing with teenagers, at least my teenagers, they seem to rebuke everything I try teach them, the importance of education, religion, their future, life.  I only hope that what we are trying to teaching them really is sinking in.  I wonder if King Solomon had the same concerns as he wrote this for his own sons.

This chapter stresses the importance of education - wisdom at all costs - of life long learning, of resisting peer pressure that can lead you down the wrong path.  It also says to guard your heart and to be careful of the words that you speak.  I think it also speaks of setting goals and working to achieving them without straying from that path 4:25-26: "Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you.  Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways."

How do you work to impart your words of wisdom to your own children?

Some more questions for thought:
http://preachersfiles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6381

No comments: